Log in
Free: The Observer Mobile App - Exclusive Content and Services

New Nile bridge passes static road test

Trucks on the new Nile bridge

Trucks on the new Nile bridge

The Uganda National Roads Authority (Unra) has conducted a static road test on the new Nile bridge in Jinja.

During the test conducted on Friday, 26 trucks loaded with murram and each weighing 25 tonnes crossed the bridge concurrently for more than 30 minutes to determine the bearing capacity. However, no cracks were detected an indication that the bridge is ready for use.
The site engineer, Lawrence Pario said that the bridge will be commissioned on October 17. 

"We are done with all the permanent works which include installing the cables that join the bridge from Njeru to Jinja and the 2.6km road leading the public to the bridge making it ready for use," Pario says.

Pario also says that two rest areas have been constructed on both the Jinja and Njeru side of the bridge to serve as refreshment, parking and recreation centers for the passengers on the Nile bridge.

Pario adds that the bridge is uniquely constructed and will beautify the skyline of Jinja. The 525 meter-long bridge is the first cable-stayed bridge in East Africa crossing Victoria Nile and linking the Northern Corridor that connects Kenya with the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

Zenitaka Corporation of Japan and Hyundai Engineering and Construction Company from South Korea constructed the bridge.

The total cost of the new bridge was about Shs 390 billion - with the government of Japan financing up to 80 per cent of the cost in form of a loan, while Uganda was supposed to fund the remaining 20 per cent. The old Nalubaale bridge was built in 1954 and has outlived its lifespan - even developing cracks. 

Comments

+1 #1 Josh 2018-09-29 12:25
lights n nice work done
Report to administrator
0 #2 Jama 2018-09-29 14:19
They get loan for the construction of infrastructures while misusing tax funds to finance their grip on power at all costs.

Unfortunately its our children to pay for the mess jajja and company Will leave behind them.
Report to administrator
-1 #3 rubangakene 2018-09-29 17:35
Was the "static road test" the final test to warrant commission, I wonder?

Does the said 'static load' mean stationary or what, please help us out here. What other tests were done before said 'static load' and for how long were they done and what conditions, say; windy, rainy, hot/cold, etc,etc,. The pictures doesn't show any trailer lorries either.

Will there be a continuous monitoring of its efficacy and for how long. when will you hand over to the National Authorities to pick up the pieces when you are gone? All these questions need answers before you pack your bags to enjoy your 'loot'.
Report to administrator
0 #4 kabayekka 2018-09-30 18:13
The African country of Uganda need to breakout from the circle the colonialists left it with.

It seems that any major project takes about 60 years to depreciate.

Such major infrastructure projects need to last 100 years and over with proper engineering mantainance.

The Nalubaale old bridge must not be demolished so that a major modern repair programme is activated. It must have been government neglect that drove this fresh water bridge to abondonment!
Report to administrator
0 #5 Fuller 2018-10-01 17:58
Quoting rubangakene:
Was the "static road test" the final test to warrant commission, I wonder?

Does the said 'static load' mean stationary or what, please help us out here. What other tests were done before said 'static load' and for how long were they done and what conditions, say; windy, rainy, hot/cold, etc,etc,. The pictures doesn't show any trailer lorries either.

Will there be a continuous monitoring of its efficacy and for how long. when will you hand over to the National Authorities to pick up the pieces when you are gone? All these questions need answers before you pack your bags to enjoy your 'loot'.


Thanks for "digging deeper" into relevant questions. Some would rather go along and 'have it done with' than deal with serious issues that may arise later.
Report to administrator

Comments are now closed for this entry

Bunga Bet