Buwenge speaker, VHT member electrocuted while erecting tent for farmers meeting
- Written by URN
Mustafa Bisike the speaker of Buwenge sub-county, Jinja district has been electrocuted alongside Busedde village health team committee member, Peter Weraga.
It is reported that Bisike, Weraga and three others were erecting tents for a farmers' meeting at Kiiko primary school, in Kiiko village, Busedde when one of the metallic poles they were carrying came into contact with a loose underground live wire which electrocuted them.
One of the survivors, Simon Mbaddwe was critically injured and rushed to Jinja Regional Referral hospital. Daniel Ibanda, the country director of Farm Stew Uganda which had organized the meeting, says that the deceased have been coordinating farmers on behalf of Farm Stew Uganda.
Kiira Region police spokesperson James Mubi says that there are several underground illegal connections in the sub-counties of Busedde and Butagaya in Jinja district which is putting the lives of the residents at risk.
Mubi adds that Kiira regional police have teamed up with UMEME officials to intensify operations against illegal power connections in the area.
"It is very unfortunate, we've lost two residents as a result of being electrocuted. They were trying to put light in the tents. In the process, there was connection with a live wire and they had to die instantly. It is absurd but now we're [issuing] a warning. There are equally people using electricity illegally, so we're warning you seriously, very soon we're going to conduct our operation, aggressive ones. Whoever is implicated, you will not be spared," said Mubi.
this is too dangerous an action. UMEME should do something about it seriously.