Log in
Updated few hours ago

British tourist collapses to death inside her room at Masindi hotel

A British national has collapsed to death inside her guest room at Masindi hotel. Katelia Khushid Banu, 68, died at around midnight on Monday.

Banu who is also one of the owners of Masindi hotel, Uganda's oldest hotel (constructed in 1923) reportedly checked in together with her nine relatives at around 8 pm on Sunday after travelling from Kampala. 

Banu reportedly entered her room, 11 but at around 11:30 pm her relatives who were still outside, heard her screaming for help from the bathroom. They responded quickly and found her lying on the floor. 

She told them that she had taken a shower and slid on the floor shortly after dressing up. Julius Hakiza, the Albertine region police spokesperson told URN that Banu's relatives supported her after the incident and sat outside with them before asking them to take her back to her room, where she collapsed and died.

He says the deceased and her relatives travelled to Uganda on January 16 and spent some time in Kampala until January 29, when they travelled to Masindi. According to Hakiza, the deceased’s body has been conveyed to the city mortuary pending a postmortem.

Constructed in 1923, Masindi hotel is Uganda's oldest hotel

Last year in April, an Indian national also died inside a guest house in the neighbouring Kikuube district. The deceased was identified as 40-year-old Mike Sultan, a resident of Hoima city. His lifeless body was found lying in his room in Kasonga guest house in Kasonga village, Kasonga parish in Kyangwali sub-county. 

Preliminary information then showed that the deceased travelled to Kyangwali to supply his clients with various items that included soap, cooking oil, sugar, biscuits, and salt among others. He checked in the guest at around 6:30 pm after supplying the merchandise.


0 #1 Lakwena 2023-01-31 07:19
Tragic! May her soul be at peace.
Report to administrator
+1 #2 Sue 2023-01-31 11:08
Taken a shower and slid on the floor..I wouldn't believe that.I think the people running the hotel or even the ones working there are hiding something
Report to administrator
0 #3 Apuuli M 2023-02-01 03:25
So sad and shocking indeed...!
RIP dear lady.
Report to administrator

Comments are now closed for this entry