Social media will remain blocked in Uganda until when government confirms that it is no longer a threat to national security, Internal Affairs minister, Gen. Jeje Odongo has said.
Government switched off social media and later the internet ahead of the January 14 general elections. Whereas the internet was switched back on last week, social media still remains switched off and is only accessible through virtual private networks (VPN).
The Prime Minister Dr. Ruhakana Rugunda recently explained that the government decided to shut down social media after realising that it was a threat to national security.
Now, Odongo has advised Ugandans to stop asking when social media will be restored because the shutdown is for their own good, adding that government will restore when the narratives of Uganda going up in flames post-election stop.
"We’ll be able to say it is time now, we have assessed, it is no longer a threat, we can have it back so that you continue to enjoy your peace and security as an element not overall security situation," said Odongo.
Meanwhile, the inspector general of police, Martins Okoth Ochola warned that some candidates in the just concluded presidential elections are disgruntled and making reckless statements aimed at inciting violence.
“We are aware of alarming assertions by disgruntled former presidential candidates, that the election was marred with fraud and irregularities. They are spreading false information and disinformation to try to influence public perception and promote hatred,” Ochola said.
Odongo said it is such inflammatory statements being posted on social media that threaten the security of the country.