Uganda has registered its 7th coronavirus death of a 49-year-old woman from Wakiso. She was HIV positive and on treatment, and also had a history of asthma and TB according to the ministry of Health.
She was admitted in an unnamed private facility on August 6 after presenting with signs consistent with COVID-19 of high fever, difficulty in breathing, chest pain and abdominal pain. She died today morning according to the ministry of Health press release.
So far, Uganda has lost 5 women and 2 men to coronavirus while 1,283 cases have been confirmed with 1,115 recoveries. The deaths thus far include a 34-year-old female from Namisindwa district in eastern Uganda, an 80-year-old female from Mengo, Kisenyi, a 67-year-old male of Nigerian origin from Kisenyi in Kampala, a 61-year-old female from Nakulabye, Kampala and 46-year-old female of Indian origin and resident of Kibuli, Kampala, a 70-year-old Ugandan male from Nateete, Kampala and now a 49-year-old female.
Globally, more men than women tend to die of coronavirus but it is not yet clear why in Uganda it is the opposite. From the 3,204 samples tested, a further 16 new people were confirmed to have contracted the coronavirus. These include 10 alerts, two contacts to previously confirmed cases and four truck drivers.
TENSION HIGH IN SIRONKO
Tension is high in Sironko district after the test results of two people under quarantine returned positive for the novel coronavirus disease.
Paulo Wakoko, the Sironko district health officer, says one of the patients is a resident of Kikomo village Bumalimba parish in Bumalimba sub-county. According to Wakoko, the patient returned from Kampala and was quarantined after presenting with COVID-19 like symptoms.
His samples were taken to the Uganda Virus Research Institute in Entebbe where they tested positive. The second patient is a resident of Budadiri town council who tested positive on Tuesday last week.
Both patients are currently isolated at Mbale regional referral hospital treatment centre where they are undergoing treatment. Isaac Lulaba, the Sironko district resident commissioner who also chairs the COVID-19 Taskforce, says the patients are among 250 suspected cases who have been under quarantine.
He says the confirmation of the two cases has triggered panic among residents. Lulaba has asked the residents to observe the COVID-19 preventive guidelines to avoid contracting the disease. Peter Wegulo Mafabi, a resident of Budadiri town council, says that their lives are now at stake and urges government to conduct mass testing to establish the extent of infection.
In Kween district, two businessmen who tested positive for coronavirus in Namisindwa district have been isolated at Mbale regional hospital.
It is reported that the two travelled from Kenya to Kapmunarkut trading centre in Kween district where they loaded Irish potatoes and onions.
Authorities have now called on residents to take serious precautions to prevent further spread of the disease.
Denis Balwanilewa, the Kween district resident commissioner, says samples of over 40 contacts of the businessmen have been picked up pending the release of test results from the labs.
He said that the district had decided to quarantine the suspects in their own homes but they are abusing the privilege, which may force the authorities to take admit them under institutional quarantine.