Uganda has registered another COVID-19 death - the fourth death in a space of two weeks.
The deceased is a 61-year-old female and resident of Kiyimbi, Nakulabye, Kampala. According to the ministry of Health, the deceased sought treatment from Mengo hospital on Wednesday this week after presenting with symptoms consistent with coronavirus of dry cough, fever, chest pain and difficulty in breathing.
She was later referred to Mulago hospital on Thursday but unfortunately died yesterday Friday. Last week Uganda registered its first coronavirus death of a 34-year-old female from Namisindwa in eastern Uganda. She died from Joy Hospice centre in Mbale after spending over 5 days in the hospital.
The second death was of an 80-year-old female from Kisenyi III, Mengo who was admitted in Mengo hospital while the third death was confirmed yesterday of a 67-year-old male of Nigerian origin, also a resident of Kisenyi who was admitted in Kiruddu general hospital in Makindye, Kampala.
The deaths come at the time when World Health Organisation (WHO) regional director forDr Matshidiso Moeti praised , , , for effectively managing to control the spread of
"Rate of growth from imported cases has been very slow from the beginning and this has been sustained," Dr Moeti said.
Moeti said the continent has registered a surge in coronavirus infections over the last two months with Kenya, Nigeria, Madagascar reported an unprecedented upsurge in cases. She said 5 countries account for 75 per cent of the continent's 900,000 infections, with South Africa accounting for 65 per cent of these.
Although she dismissed suggestions that due to low testing on the continent, the pandemic was silently killing Africans, she said there's definitely been some underreporting of deaths and infections and many people might have died of coronavirus before even reaching the hospital.
A case in point are Uganda's first three coronavirus deaths which were only confirmed by postmortem results. Moeti said South Africa has recorded more deaths this time of the year than in previous years yet the extra deaths have not been attributed to coronavirus. Moeti urged African countries to scale testing and preventive measures beyond the city centres into villages.
22 NEW CASES
Uganda's ministry of Health is concerned about the increasing complacency of Ugandans towards the coronavirus pandemic despite the outbreak entering into its most dangerous stage of community spread.
A further 22 new cases have today been confirmed to have been infected with coronavirus from the 2,550 samples tested on Friday - raising the total confirmed cases in the country to 1,176.
Out of the new cases, 6 are trucker drivers, 10 are returnees from abroad while 4 are contacts to a previously confirmed case in Namisindwa who were under quarantine at the time of testing, and two were community alerts from Namisindwa and Kampala (the deceased).
A total of 275,355 samples have so far been tested as of July 31, 2020.