Police has halted disciplinary proceedings against three of its officers accused of shooting to death Ronald Ssebulime.
Police spokesperson, Fred Enanga, said the trial of police constables Ronald Opira, Ronald Baganza and Robert Cherotich, was halted and discussions are on-going with directorate of public prosecutions (DPP) and the police force.
The DPP, last month wrote to the police advising that the trio be tried in police disciplinary tribunal since their commander, Cpl Edward Ssali, had confessed to the crime and a ballistic report proved that it was his gun that was used to kill Ssebulime.
Ssebulime was handcuffed, dragged on the ground and shot twice in the chest. Police responded by arresting four police officers for acting on false assassination alerts by state minister for Information Communication and Technology (ICT), Ida Nantaba on March 24.
Investigations commanded by SSP Bernard Muhumuza, revealed that Ssebulime was going to visit his children at St Andrews Kaggwa SS in Mukono. It was unearthed that the deceased was not trailing Nantaba with intent of killing her as she alleged.
Cpl Ssali was charged with murder in April after he recorded an extrajudicial statement in regard to the crime. Ssebulime’s family through their lawyer, Muwada Nkunyingi, have since protested the DPP’s move insisting that they are accomplices in the killing of their relative and must face a full criminal trial.
The trio’s trial was to commence in Police Disciplinary Court (PDC) chaired, Denis Odongpiny, but it has since been halted for reasons yet-to-be established.
Enanga had earlier told journalists that Opira, Cherotich and Baganza, would be tried disciplinarily because they tried to conceal information on how Ssebulime had been killed by Ssali but could not face criminal trial for crimes committed by their senior.