Log in
Free: The Observer Mobile App - Exclusive Content and Services

Police denies $30,000 ransom was paid for American tourist release

Kimberly after securing her freedom

Kimberly after securing her freedom

The Uganda police has denied reports that the freedom of American tourist Kimberly Sue and her Ugandan tour guide, Jean Paul Mirenge was only secured after a ransom of $30,000 (about Shs 112m) got paid to the kidnappers. 

Four armed men last week kidnapped the duo from Queen Elizabeth national park on April 2. Using Kimberly's mobile phone, the kidnappers demanded for a ransom of $500,000 (about Shs 1.8bn).

According to security sources, after receiving the money, the kidnappers called the tour company, Wild Frontiers Safaris Uganda and directed its workers where to find Kimberley and Mirenge. But police spokesperson Fred Enanga says the duo was released after a joint elite force threatened to attack the kidnappers hideout. 

"As police we don’t give ransom and if ransom was paid to kidnappers that can be clarified by [Kimberly's] family," Enanga said. 

At the time of the kidnap, Kimberly and other tourists who were robbed but left unharmed were driving a Wild Frontiers truck. The kidnappers walked away with the car keys. US secretary of state Michael Pompeo last week said the US doesn't or encourage payment ransom money for the release of American citizens as this would only lead to more kidnaps. 

"This was a high-risk operation and we had identified the hideout," Enanga said. "The pressure was there of a last resort move in, that there was an implicit threat of the use of force by our elite teams that we had on ground. But as the police and the government of Uganda, we don't do ransom."

Meanwhile, police couldn't explain the fate of six Ugandans including a 12-year-old child who were also recently kidnapped near the Ishasha Uganda-DRC border.

US President Donald Trump has used his Twitter account to demand that authorities in Uganda find the kidnappers and bring them to justice, otherwise he said, Uganda will remain unsafe for tourists. However several social media users in his country and elsewhere have gone on to point it out to him that with the gun violence in the US, Uganda is actually safer place even for the Americans. 

Enanga said the operation to arrest the kidnappers is still ongoing with support from the Congolese security. He used this opportunity to warn future kidnappers. 

"The successful recovery of the captives serves as a reminder to those enemies who want to harm our own people including visitors," Enanga said. "That we will do everything possible within our means to defend them."

This was the first kidnapping of any foreign tourists in Uganda in 20 years. In 1999, armed Hutu fighters from Congo entered Bwindi Park and killed eight tourists and four Ugandans.

After a brief meeting with security officials Monday morning. President Yoweri Museveni tweeted saying, they will deal with these isolated pockets of criminals.

He reassured the country and tourists that Uganda is safe, urging them to come an enjoy the "Pearl of Africa." He also promised that security will be improved in the parks. Uganda earns about $1.3 billion per year from tourism.

Additional reporting by VOA

Comments

+3 #1 Wooden K. 2019-04-08 17:37
Enanga , you are a good man ; but you are full of lies. Your credibilty become questionable during Nantaba saga .

A ransom was paid , period !

Oh , we also hear H.E. Super Glue saying UGANDA IS SAFE .

Safe for who ?

Uganda has opened all its doors for all kinds of criminals . The thugs that kidnapped this American could be "refugees" from Congo , Rwanda , Burundi , South Sudan , Eretria , Somalia or CAR.

This is the price we have to pay for endlessly involving our army in each and every conflic in the erea , creating kidnappers , assasins and drug-smugglers.
Report to administrator
0 #2 Kelly 2019-04-08 18:22
My brother Wooden K. Enanga is not a good man. Good men don't falsify facts.

Good men don't tell lies for survival
Good men don't defend the oppressors

Good men don't stare into the cameras to wish harm to innocent souls.
Good men are good people!!!
Report to administrator
0 #3 rubangakene 2019-04-08 22:44
Good news the kidnap has ended without a 'hitch'. We must not congratulate ourselves and sit back on our laurels, the government needs to find out who was behind this sad episode and bring them to book to deter any other adventurers in the future.

If this is found to be an "inside job", then we must look at the background of employees in the industry. With the advance in technology (satellite, drone, etc.,) this should have been an easy task.
Report to administrator
+2 #4 WADADA roger 2019-04-08 22:56
Dont worry, the kidnappers will come out and tell us how much they received
Report to administrator
+1 #5 kabayekka 2019-04-09 00:36
What if the military police attack was made. Was that not going to put the innocent victims at the risk of losing their lives?

The Uganda military police has a bad record for many years now in not respecting African human lives especially where political opposition to the current government is made clear!

And senior police inspectors have already lost their lives in very mysterious ways of assassination conspiracies.
Report to administrator
+1 #6 richard 2019-04-09 00:55
What if the kidnappers were part of the system?what then is the next step?
Report to administrator
0 #7 Jonathan Luyirika 2019-04-09 06:56
Mr.Enanga is a good man serving bad regime
Report to administrator
+1 #8 Jonathan Luyirika 2019-04-09 07:22
Mr. Enanga will be more at home working in a shrine where deception is the order of the day.
Report to administrator

Comments are now closed for this entry