Log in

Hoima cholera victims reach 1290

The number of cholera victims in Hoima district following an outbreak in refugee settlement areas has reached 1,290. The outbreak has so far claimed the lives of 29 people.

James Hakim Taban, head of the UNCHR sub-office in Hoima, says they recorded 400 new cholera cases last week including refugees and members of the host communities. He says the new cases were registered at Sebigoro reception center and Kasonga.

Congolese refugees receiving treatment against cholera in Hoima last week

He explains that the victims are receiving treatment in the isolation centers. Taban however, notes that no new death has been recorded since Friday last week. He notes that the number of cases is expected to go up since a number of refugees are still scattered within the host communities.

Taban says UNHCR together with the district and partner agencies have set up an emergency team to respond to fresh cholera cases at Sebigoro reception center. 

The cholera outbreak was first reported at Sebigoro landing site on the shores of Lake Albert in Hoima district on February 11, 2018 among Congolese refugees fleeing tribal clashes between the Lendu and Hema in Eastern Democratic republic of Congo.

Comments

0 #1 rubangakene 2018-03-05 23:24
That Uganda is a "referred bolt hole" for refugees is 'vanity fair' rather than 'sanity insight'.

After receiving the dollars and international accolade, we go to sleep and dream things will be hunky - dory.

There are no tested checks and guidelines in place to ensure the health of the refugees and the host communities. Tanzania makes sure all refugees are health-checked and inoculated against common ailments like cholera, malaria, etc,.

We always hope things will go swimmingly and enjoy the "rewards/eating brought by the visitors". And all this is happening in the vicinity of the most modern 'Oilfield and Refinery'!
Report to administrator

Comments are now closed for this entry

betPawa