A primary seven pupil of Kabale universal nursery and primary has succumbed to burn injuries she sustained during a fire outbreak that gutted the girl's dormitory and and administration block last evening.
Adrine Arinda passed on moments later at Kabale regional referral hospital where she had been rushed for treatment. According to witnesses, the fire broke out at around 07:30pm on Monday evening destroying the girl's dormitory, administration block and property worth millions of shillings.
Two teachers who were on night duty attribute the fire outbreak on a short circuit. The teachers told URN on condition of anonymity that they saw sparks the wires in the corner of the burnt dormitory before it started spreading to the pupil's beddings.
They claim most of the pupils ran for dear life as they were preparing to go for night preps when the fire started. Arinda was lying in bed ill and couldn't run to safety. The police fire fighting team rushed to the school to contain the fire from spreading to other buildings but ran out of water. The fire tender had to rush to National Water and Sewerage Corporation to fetch more water.
John Byabagambi, the principal education officer Kabale municipality describes the incident as unfortunate and blames the school administration for installing burglar proof windows in the dormitories, which hampered rescue efforts.